Saturday, October 2, 2010

Babbling on Dabbling




















Today I dabbled in art for the first time in over 4 years. I was shamed by an art teacher when I was very young, and have been afraid of drawing, painting, etc. ever since. I did have a wonderful art teacher in 4th grade, but the damage had been done; in 5th grade (maybe it was 6th?) I was given the choice between art or wood shop and I never stepped foot into an art class again.

Today is "24-Hour Comics" day and Glenn and Caleb are participating. I knew there was no way I could stay up for 24 hours, let alone draw a comic, but I thought it might be fun to get some oil pastels and dabble a little bit while the guys planned out their storyboards and drew their characters. I Googled "oil pastels beginner" and found the instructions and projects to be too advanced for me! "Oil pastels kids" produced some ideas that were more my speed.

The winter tree is a copy of one of the projects I found. The geometric one is an idea that came into my head, but it didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. Still, it was fun to use bold colors and experiment.

I have to say, I'm really happy with the tree. It's funny, the very first thing I ever learned to draw (a *very* simplistic line drawing, that is) was a tree. The last time I painted, which was over four years ago, I painted a tree. (I'll post a picture of that sometime, I'm sure.) Trees speak to me -- their roots going deep into the soil; the bearing of fruit or flowers; the leaves turning, dying, falling; branches bare in winter, held high in worship to the Creator, trusting that new growth will come in the spring.

Summer is just ending here in Tucson, but for me it's been a long, hard winter. I want to be like the tree I drew today...roots going deep, arms and hands raised, trusting my Creator for new life to sprout whenever the next season comes.


6 comments:

  1. Keep at this, Sis - looks cool!

    I love the tree. I see some symbols in the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking directly at the painting on the far right side I see the Cross in turquoise.. I see the center square as God’s heart/our heart committed in covenant with Him. The panel of red to the left of the Cross suggests Christ’s shed blood, given, forgiven, complete as the Cross now bears ( in symbol) what is left - His heart and our hearts as one.

    The extension on the right side of the Cross with the “arm” flared is our taking His sacrifice on the Cross and opening our arm/hands to receive but also to go forth and serve. The golden colors on the side borders speak to Light and His reign around all things.

    The circle/orb in the middle is half light and half dark in colors - could represent the sun/moon rotation of each day, the parts of us that can still make choices to dwell in the dark or step into the light. That the background strips of color with the circle are reversed in relationship to them suggests that we always have choices whatever place we find ourselves - choices to step into the light or fall back into the dark.

    The purple - God’s majesty? Green - the color of Hope. Again you reverse the colored strips behind the triangle but do not subtract a message that I see with the qualities of Hope and God’s light reigning.

    The triangle suggests an umbrella or a covering. He is our covering of Hope as we allow him to reign. The black line separating the strips as it goes up through the covering ( in symbol) suggests the plumb line of stability that staying under His covering can bring us.

    That is what I see!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tree as well -- see below fro symbolism that has been meaningful to me/us...

    http://orchardcommunity.blogspot.com/p/whats-in-name.html

    ReplyDelete