Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Beauty from Ashes

"Dear People of God:

The first Christians observed with great devotion the days of our Lord's passion and resurrection, and it became the custom of the Church to prepare for them by a season of penitence and fasting. This season of Lent provided a time in which converts to the faith were prepared for Holy Baptism. It was also a time when those who, because of notorious sins, had been separated from the body of the faithful were reconciled by penitence and forgiveness, and restored to the fellowship of the Church. Thereby, the whole congregation was put in mind of the message of pardon and absolution set forth in the Gospel of our Savior, and of the need which all Christians continually have to renew their repentance and faith.

I invite you, therefore, in the name of the Church, to the observance of a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God's holy Word. And, to make a right beginning of repentance, and as a mark of our mortal nature, let us now kneel before the Lord, our maker and redeemer." (from The Book of Common Prayer)

Thus began the communal portion of our Ash Wednesday service this evening. It was a lovely time together. First we went to various stations to open our hearts, meditate on Scripture, write prayers of confession, and commit this Lenten season to the Lord. The lights were dim, we could light candles as we wished, and I found the time to be deeply moving. After this time of individual reflection, we gathered as a community and sang the following song by Jon Foreman (of Switchfoot fame):

White As Snow
Have mercy on me, O God
According to Your unfailing love
According to Your great compassion
Blot out my transgressions

Would you create in me a clean heart, O God

Restore in me the joy of Your salvation

The sacrifices of our God are a broken and a contrite heart

Against You and You alone have I sinned

Would You create in me a clean heart, O God

Restore in me the joy of my salvation

Wash me white as snow
And I will be made whole
Wash me white as snow
And I will be made whole

Would you create in me a clean heart, oh God

Restore in me the joy of Your salvation


After receiving the ashes on my forehead and taking Communion, I felt undone by the love of the Lord and the love of my community. He's making me whole in the the midst of pain...in the midst of confusion...in the midst of this mess called life. 

As I end this day, I am reminded of this verse from Isaiah 61: "To all who mourn in Zion he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair." 

Beauty will come from the ashes. I can hardly wait.


 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Sis - a beautiful start to this Lenten season.

    ReplyDelete