Sunday, February 26, 2012

Facing the Cup

"Organized religion has domesticated the crucified Lord of glory, turned Him into a tame theological symbol. Theological symbols do not sweat blood in the night."
-- Brennan Manning

Yesterday's reading (which I read this morning) was about Jesus looking at the cup the Father was offering. What filled the cup wasn't pretty...it was the most vile contents ever known. Every sin was to be laid on the only sinless person in all of history. Would He drink the cup?

Three times He cried out to the Father for things to be different. It seemed like too much for Him to bear. But we know how the story ends...He stood up and walked the road of obedience to the Cross, and changed the course of history forever. Changed my life...changed me...forever.

Today I am facing my own cup -- a cup filled with fear, anxiety and uncertainty. Compared to what Jesus faced, it's a walk in the park. Will I drink the cup the Father is offering? Will I gaze into the Lord's eyes of love and TRUST that this cup is what I need? Will I trust that He knows the big picture and has my best interest in mind? Will I walk the road of obedience, even if I have not a clue where it will lead?

"No, Lord" is an oxymoron.




2 comments:

  1. Yes, you will because you know that He is trusting you to trust Him.
    It is part of the covenant relationship - total trust without understanding because we trust the faithfulness of the One leading us. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that, Sis...such a great reminder of how HE trusts US, too!

    ReplyDelete