Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Beloved

My friend, Randy Chase, quoted Henri Nouwen on his blog recently and I had to steal it and post it here. Henry Nouwen was a Dutch priest and prolific author who passed away several years ago. It is one of my life's goals to read everything he ever wrote...his writing touches me so deeply. The passage Randy quoted speaks so clearly my heart, especially for those in emotional pain. Many of us wrestle with lies and judgments from our childhood and I know the Lord wants to eradicate those things with His truth. Let's allow these words to soak deep into our souls. I needed this today. Blessings to all of you "out there" who need this, too!!!

From Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living In a Secular World:

"Ever since you asked me to write for you and your friends about the spiritual life, I have been wondering if there might be one word I would most want you to remember when you finished reading all I wish to say. Over the past year, that special word has gradually emerged from the depths of my own heart. It is the word "Beloved," and I am convinced that it has been given to me for the sake of you and your friends.

Being a Christian, I first learned this word from the story of Jesus of Nazareth. "No sooner had Jesus come up out of the water than he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit, like a dove, descending on him. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on you'" (Matt. 3:16-17; Mark 1:10-11; Luke 3:21-22): For many years I had read these words and even reflected upon them in sermons and lectures, but it is only since our talks in New York that they have taken on a meaning far beyond the boundaries of my own tradition. Our many conversations led me to the inner conviction that the words "You are my Beloved" revealed the most intimate truth of all human beings, whether they belong to any particular tradition or not.

...all I want to say to you is "You are the Beloved," and all I hope is that you can hear these words as spoken to you with all the tenderness and force that love can hold. My only desire is to make these words reverberate in every corner of your being - "You are the Beloved."...Yes, there is that voice, the voice that speaks from above and from within and that whispers softly or declares loudly: "You are my Beloved, on you my favor rests." It certainly is not easy to hear that voice in a world filled with voices that shout: "You are no good, you are ugly; you are worthless; you are despicable, you are nobody - unless you can demonstrate the opposite."

"These negative voices are so loud and so persistent that it is easy to believe them. That's the great trap. It is the trap of self-rejection. Over the years, I have come to realize that the greatest trap in our life is not success, popularity, or power, but self-rejection. Success, popularity, and power can, indeed, present a great temptation, but their seductive quality often comes from the way they are part of the much larger temptation to self-rejection. When we have come to believe in the voices that call us worthless and unlovable, then success, popularity, and power are easily perceived as attractive solutions. The real trap, however, is self-rejection. I am constantly surprised at how quickly I give in to this temptation. As soon as someone accuses me or criticizes me, as soon as I am rejected, left alone, or abandoned, I find myself thinking: "Well, that proves once again that I am a nobody." Instead of taking a critical look at the circumstances or trying to understand my own and others' limitations, I tend to blame myself - not just for what I did, but for who I am. My dark side says: "I am no good...I deserve to be pushed aside, forgotten, rejected, and abandoned...." (Pages 29-33.)

I hope you know today that God calls you His beloved, that He wants you to come closer to Him...and... that all the voices that say otherwise are untrue.

No comments:

Post a Comment