Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wrestling

Two years ago, on Good Friday, I wrote the following poem:

cross and candles
paper and pen
sin and shame
poured out in ink
at the place
where grace was
poured out in blood

confessing, lamenting
in my own Gethsemane
tears and forgiveness
flow together

flame touches fear
brokenness burns
each ember dies
ashes

what remains as I rise
hope
freedom
gratitude
joy

and Your deep, deep abiding love

It's humbling to read those words now. I remember exactly what I was dealing with at the time. While I may be older and wiser, I find myself wrestling with the same things. 

Tomorrow night at a Good Friday vigil, I'll write my sins and sorrows on some red paper and nail them to a cross. Then at midnight on Saturday, just before it turns to Sunday, all of the papers will be taken off the cross and burned...in the same pot I burned my own papers two years ago in a private ceremony.

Sometimes I wonder how many papers I'm going to need to burn before I stop wrestling.

"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." -- Lamentations 3:19-23


No comments:

Post a Comment